COVID-19 Safety & Risk Mitigation Measures
- All staff and students must continue to wear face coverings/masks, regardless of vaccination status when in all Yakima School District buildings.
- All district personnel, volunteers, visitors, and students must wear cloth face coverings, or an acceptable alternative (e.g., surgical mask or clear face shield with a drape), when indoors.
Physical Distancing Requirements
- Maintain a physical distance of three feet between students in classroom settings as is reasonably possible. There is flexibility in reducing the distance when desks or tables do not allow for the three feet distance.
- All district staff must maintain a 6-foot separation and practice social distancing as work duties permit in the workplace. The distance may be reduced if all individuals are masked. Barriers or fans may be effective in many circumstances.
Meal and Food Requirements
- Maximize physical distance as much as possible when moving through the food service line and while eating. Using additional spaces outside of the cafeteria for mealtime seating such as the gymnasium or outdoor seating as available.
- Food brought to school buildings by staff, students, etc. needs to be individually wrapped to be distributed.
- Frequent hand washing is encouraged
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the buildings
- Cleaning and disinfecting
- Staying home when sick and seeking evaluation
- Testing as indicated
- Isolation rooms will still be needed
- Students need to bring their own supplies. No sharing.
Our Custodial Team is routinely cleaning and disinfecting the workplace, especially in those commonly touched surfaces/areas. Our Health Services Team will continue to monitor COVID testing, symptoms, cases, contact tracing, and quarantining as required by the Department of Health.
COVID-19 Student Symptom Flow Charts (Click Image To Make Larger)
In the Yakima area, the transmission of COVID-19 is high. The Yakima School District will temporarily put additional protocols in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, effective Monday, August 30, 2021.
- Visitors to schools: only staff and students will be permitted in the school buildings.
- No assemblies or field trips until further notice (sports and after-school activities are not impacted at this time).
- No tolerance for improper mask-wearing and no tolerance for not social distancing to the extent possible.
- Please click here for updated parent/guardian announcements including the canceled reading program for free fair tickets.
Close Proximity & Close Contact Notifications
When staff or students have potential COVID-19 symptoms, the YSD COVID-19 Response Team, in coordination with the Yakima Health District, conducts an interview to determine, if possible, if the person is positive for COVID-19 and who might be a close contact (within 3-6 feet, depending on the situation, for a total of 15 minutes) or in close proximity (most often in the same classroom or same bus but not necessarily within 3-6' for 15 minutes). Then:
Close contacts families will be contacted by the school nurse and given instructions. In some cases, they may need to isolate or quarantine but each situation can be unique. If a parent gets a Close Contact call from a nurse parents should expect the following.
- a return date for when the child would be eligible to return
- a list of symptoms to look for
- instructions on what to do if they see those symptoms
- identification of testing locations
- information on how to report POSITIVE results back to the school
- who to contact if they have any questions
Close proximity families will receive a text/auto-call/email via the school or the district's ParentSquare account. Instructions will be given in that message. Most likely that message will indicate that families are to watch for symptoms but if students remain symptom-free they can come to school.
Please note that although a parent/guardian will have access to more engagement tools if they are registered in ParentSquare, they do not need to be registered in ParentSquare to receive messages from teachers, the school, or the district. To register for ParentSquare, or for more info, go to www.YSD7.org/parentsquare
Temporary Home Quarantine Virtual Learning
Due to current community health conditions and the global COVID-19 pandemic, students may be required to temporarily quarantine at home due to symptoms, a positive COVID-19 test, or identification as a close contact to someone with Covid-19. Your child’s school and our Yakima School District Covid-19 Response Team will communicate with you about any required temporary quarantine. Please refer to the symptom flow chart above that explains when students are required to quarantine.
During a temporary home quarantine, teaching and learning will continue uninterrupted, ensuring your student continues to receive instructional services from the Yakima School District.
We have developed units for each grade level from preschool to 5th grade and core content units for middle school and high school students. All units are aligned to Washington State learning standards and are scheduled to be taught during this time of the school year. While learning may not match classroom activities exactly, we will support your student while they make progress on their most important learning.
All students in quarantine are expected to participate in virtual instruction, including daily contact with a teacher from the district. Live teacher sessions are available at 11:30 a.m. daily. Please see the information in your child's quaratine packet on how to access virtual learning and live teacher instruction via Google Meet.
We hope you find these sessions helpful to continue learning during a temporary home quarantine.
Student Meals During Home Quarantine Learning
The Yakima School District Child Nutrition Department would like to announce that beginning September 27th, school meals will be made available to any student in quarantine who is continuing online learning at home while in quarantine.
These meals must be arranged to be picked up from the school your student attends by calling your school's kitchen to request these meals.
The parents or guardians may pick up these meals daily, for quarantined students so long as they can provide the student ID.
Orders for same-day service must be called in no later than 9:00 AM the day of and be picked no later than 1:30 PM (but not during the school's regular meal service times as staff will not be available). Parents may order meals for the entire time the student is quarantined.
If the parent does not pick up the requested meals, they will need to reorder for any future days.
My Student Is Showing Symptoms, What Do I Do?
You should not send your student to school if they have symptoms that could be COVID-19. The Delta variant is very contagious and transmission will increase for everyone if your student comes to school ill. Most people who get COVID-19 have mild symptoms, including a fever and cough. Adults and children have reported the following symptoms or a combination of symptoms, which may appear two to 14 days after exposure:
- Fever of 100.4°F / 38°C or higher
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Other signs of new illness that are unrelated to a preexisting condition (such as seasonal allergies)
This list does not include all possible symptoms. To learn more about COVID-19 symptoms, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website (www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms)
My Student Has Been Exposed To COVID-19 Outside Of School, What Do I Do?
Even a person who is vaccinated, if they are symptomatic, will be required to isolate/quarantine.
- Parents/guardians should contact their school nurse
- Watch for symptoms
- Get a COVID 19 Test
- Seek medical help if needed
Testing & Vaccine Sites
Yakima School District
1. Temporary Testing SiteThe Yakima School District is hosting a temporary, free COVID-19 testing site for YSD students, staff, and their families. This optional testing opportunity is provided by PMG Medical Staffing and with testing products from BD Veritor. Pre-registration is encouraged, but not required. Register for a test at pmg.app.perseus.id/div/yakima.Dates: Monday - FridayTimes: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PMLocation: 105 N 4th Ave. Yakima, WA (on the grass lawn, see map)Test Type: Rapid Antigen, shallow nasal swabResults: Within 15 minutesCost: FREEWho: Available to all YSD staff, students, and household members of YSD staff/students. Parent/guardian permission is required for students.2. Weekly Testing Sites
The Yakima School District is offering free, COVID-19 testing for all students and staff. The Rapid Antigen Test (shallow nasal swab) will be conducted once per week during the school day by trained professionals from Premier Medical Group. More information will be released with dates and times. If you are interested in receiving a COVID-19 test, registration is required. Please register online at pmg.app.perseus.id/div/yakima.
Why get tested even if you don’t have symptoms?
It is possible for people, even those who have been fully vaccinated, to have COVID-19 and transmit it to others. Some people may have COVID and not show any symptoms, yet still spread the disease. The Washington State Department of Health recommends schools layer their COVID mitigation measures, meaning they should take multiple measures to prevent the spread of COVID. In addition to masking, physical distancing and enhanced cleaning, COVID-19 testing can help people to know if they have COVID, even if they don’t have symptoms and/or are vaccinated.
To learn more about COVID-19 testing sites in Yakima County, CLICK HERE.
To learn more about COVID-19 vaccination sites in Yakima County, CLICK HERE
We encourage you to use our Let's Talk platform if you have questions/suggestions as we are monitoring it hourly during school hours and strive for a same-day response. You can access our Let's Talk platform here: https://www.ysd7.org/contactus.
For a list of schools and school phone numbers, please go here: https://www.ysd7.org/domain/21.