Welcome to the Yakima School District! For those of you who have a child entering the school system for the first time, get ready! You will be amazed at the amount of learning that takes place! We have a great combination of talented teachers and staff to help your students become learners for life! The direct phone line to Student Enrollment Services is 509-573-7021.
The District offers dedicated enrollment periods during which you may register your student for the upcoming school year. The dates for these enrollment periods will be posted on this website as they come up. The District also accepts new registrations throughout the regular school year. During either period, you may register new and returning students at their neighborhood school, or at the District Student and Family Center (105 N 4th Ave).
YSD has 14 elementary schools, 5 middle schools, and 4 high schools (view school directory). High school enrollment is determined through a balanced placement process where students select their first and second choice of high school. Elementary and middle school enrollment is determined by the home address of the student. Each elementary school and each middle school has a defined neighborhood boundary. Visit our School Neighborhood Boundaries page to view a map of our school locations and boundaries.
Non-Resident High School Applications
If your family does not live within the Yakima School District boundaries, you may apply for consideration for enrollment. Please contact the Student and Family Center if you are out-of-district (please do not contact the high schools).
Enrollment for a returning student requires the following:
- Completion of an enrollment packet
- Packets are available at all schools and at the Student and Family Center
- Proof of address
- A current utility bill, if it's within a month's span. Utility bills must be a connected service to the address listed. Cellphone bills are not accepted.
Enrollment for a new student requires all of the above, plus the following:
- Documentation to establish student's age
- Acceptable documents include a religious, hospital or physician certificate showing date of birth; an entry in a family bible; an adoption record; an affidavit from a parent; a birth certificate; or previously verified school records.
- Immunization records
- 2022-2023 Immunization Requirements (English)
- 2022-2023 Immunization Requirements (Spanish)
- For immunization requirements in alternate languages, please visit the School/Childcare Vaccine Requirements page on the Washington State Department of Health website. *Please scroll down to SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS CHART*
- Starting August 1, 2020, all immunization records turned in to schools or child care centers are required by state law to be medically verified.
- Completion of an enrollment packet
Annual Request for Release from YSD
This form is for students that live within the Yakima School District but are registered in a neighboring school district and attend a school in traditional school setting (This form is not for online programs). This form must be renewed for approval and continuation every school year. A signature from director of the Student & Family Center is required for this form. We are located at 105 N. 4th Ave Yakima, WA 98902.
Choice Transfer Requests
A choice transfer request is required if your family lives within the Yakima School District boundaries and you would like to have your child attend a non-YSD school. You can submit a choice transfer request through the OSPI website here:
School Transfer Request
For all K-12 requests for school transfers, please print, fill out, and return the form below to the Student & Family Center located at 105 N 4th Ave, Yakima, WA 98902. From June 20 to August 8, our hours of operation are 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday - Thursday and 7:30 AM to 12:00 PM on Friday. Filling out a transfer request form does not guarantee approval. You will be notified the third week in August.